- Finding adjacent applications for existing Client’s products, technologies, materials and patents to monetize / commercialize customer’s existing intellectual assets
- Audit client’s product, component, technology, patents and their features and functions. Find out where these functions are applicable and important in other markets
- Business information such as market size and potential partners may also be delivered
Reverse Function-Oriented Search – Major Tool for Adjacent Market Identification
- The goal of Reversed Function-Oriented Search (RFOS) is to identify industries where existing technologies and products can be applied.
- Industries face similar engineering challenges, but the similarities are not always obvious because these industries are often completely different in their focus.
- RFOS removes the industry-specific limitations of potential areas of an existing technology application and uncovers possibilities, regardless of the source industry.
- RFOS breaks psychological barriersfor acceptance of new areas of application because there is already proof that the initial technology will work in similar conditions.
- RFOS allows utilization of all functions, including harmful and additional ones.
- RFOS allows utilization of not only functions, but also properties which can become resources for potential functions.
Algorithm of Reverse Function-Oriented Search
- Perform an audit (examination) of client’s portfolio of products and technologies that constitute client’s core competencies and competitive advantages.
- Select an object for RFOS (product or technology)
- Build a component model of the selected object
- Select one of the components or the entire product/technology
- Formulate all its properties (physical, chemical, geometrical, etc.)
- Select one of the properties
- Convert the selected property to a set of functions
- Select one of the functions
- Generalize the selected function
- Identify a leading area, in which similar functions and properties are very important and that has the biggest business potential
- Identify in the selected area a specific function similar to the generalized function
- Using the identified function as a new main function of the initial object, formulate an adaptation problem: “How to make the object perform the new main function”
- Solve the adaptation problem
- If necessary, repeat the algorithm for another function, property, and component
- Develop value proposition for each identified adjacent area of application
- Search for potential partners and/or buyers in the selected area.
Example: Cable Insulation Monitoring
- Select an object for RFOS
Technology of identification of the internal composition of a cable insulator, based on non-invasive measurement of its electrical impedance
- Selected function (main function)
To measure the amount of water in a cable insulator (i.e., to inform a person about the presence and amount of water)
- Formulate its advantages (the function can be performed under unique conditions, can provide unusual results, etc.)
Non-invasive measurement; results can be achieved immediately; compact, inexpensive, and fully automated equipment
- Generalize the function
To measure amount of a selected substance in a complex multi-phase structure
- Identify a leading area, in which similar functions and their advantages are very important
Monitoring of a blood composition for medical purposes
- Identify a real object in the selected area similar to the generalized object of the generalized main function
- Redirect action of the main function to the identified object
To non-invasively measure the amount of glucose in a patients’ blood
- Using reformulated function as a new main function of the analyzed object, formulate an adaptation problem: “How can the object be made to perform this new main function?”
How to adapt existing technology of a cable insulator control device for constant real- time non-invasive monitoring of blood glucose for patients with diabetes?
- Solve the adaptation problem. Business case
Healbe company started commercializing a new device in 2015 https://healbe.com/us/